Oooh, this is a good one! A bowl of hot chilli, turned velvety with a couple of squares of 70% cocoa chocolate melted in, crunchy tortillas, melting cheese, fresh coriander and all the Mexican trimmings….. shouldn’t be writing this before dinner, I’m practically dribbling. You’ll love it!
Unbelievably I just cannot cook rice and it stresses me out. I’ve tried every method I can find but I just wasn’t designed to cook rice. So I substitute it with tortilla chips, so easy.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 lb minced beef
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tin chopped tomatoes (or 4-5 fresh chopped)
1 tin kidney beans, rinsed
1 oz 70% cocoa dark chocolate
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
salt & black pepper
to serve with it:
(cheat and buy from the supermarket or make your own if you have time)
fresh coriander, chopped
original tortilla chips (rice substitute)
wine of your choice!! cold and crisp white or warm and deep red (or beer!)
1. heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat
2. add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes.
4. add the tomato paste, chilli powder, and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
5. add the tomatoes (with their juices), kidney beans, chocolate, ½ cup water, 1 tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper and bring to a boil.
6. reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 25 minutes.
7. add the vinegar and stir to combine.
Serve with the extras on the side in bowls and forget about this rice nonsense!
Serves 4| Time: 50m
recipe from: realsimple.com