When winter sets in, and Food Lovers is running a butternut special, the only thing for it is a warm and spicy soup. Pour in to individual jars and you have grab-and-go lunches for the week.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium white onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated
75g fresh ginger, peeled & grated
2-3 fresh green chillies, finely chopped
1.5kgs butternut squash (4 small/2 large), peeled and roughly chopped
2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
salt & pepper
1. put olive oil, onions, ginger, garlic and chillies into a pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened.
2. add peeled and chopped butternut and cook, turning occasionally for 3 minutes.
3. add the chicken, or vegetable, stock and bring to the boil.
4. turn the heat right down, place the pan lid on top but leave a gap for the steam to escape, and simmer slowly for 30 minutes.
5. blitz the soup in a food processor, add salt & pepper to taste and reheat when needed.
I like to put in jars in the fridge so I can pick one up each morning to take to work for lunch. You can also freeze for days when you want something quick and warming.
serves: 8 | time: 45 mins
recipe: Barefoot Boho